Sr. Optical Systems Engineer
Mississauga, ON, Canada
As Sr. Optical Systems Engineer you will design high performance biomedical and industrial optical illumination systems from concept through to commercial release. It is the responsibility of the Sr. Optical Systems Engineer to provide technical leadership to a cross functional team including product managers, engineers, and scientists to deliver a product that meets commercial and regulatory requirements. You will apply both theoretical and practical knowledge of optical systems, lasers, LEDs, and thermal management to evaluate the feasibility of advanced concepts, design prototype systems and bring new technology to market. Time-to-market is critical; the Sr. Optical Systems Engineer must move fluidly from the big picture to the smallest detail, removing road blocks to drive momentum. The role demands a well-rounded technical background, a passion for innovation, confidence to take on challenging problems and agility to recover quickly and change course. A successful Sr. Optical Systems Engineer will be energetic, embrace new technology and be creative in their approach to solving problems.
What you will do.
- Plan, develop and refine optical and thermal design concepts for next generation solid state illumination systems through experimentation, theory and modeling.
- Stay up to date with state-of-the-art optical and thermal technologies. Communicate developments through reports and presentations and make recommendations for product improvements
- Lead a project team in designing prototypes to test new concepts and transfer technology into new and existing products. Systems will typically include LEDs, optical components, thermal management and electronics controls. Prototype design may also include commercial considerations related to functionality, safety and cost.
- Design thermal and optical systems using software such as LightTools and Ansys Icepak to simulate and optimize optical & thermal system parameters for increased coupling efficiency, uniformity and optical power.
- Evaluate the application of new technologies to increase competitive advantage and provide recommendations to project teams and product managers.
- Lead, contribute to, and participate in design reviews. Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements, including manufacturability.
- Lead feasibility studies using problem solving and risk analysis techniques to address both technical and project management issues. Apply project management principles to define deliverables, schedules, and track progress.
- Bachelor's degree in Physics or Engineering with post graduate studies in Applied Optics or Optical Engineering
- Strong leader with 10 years' practical experience in system design and technical leadership.
- Solid background designing, modeling, prototyping and testing optical and thermal systems.
- Proficiency in the use of advanced modeling software (ASAP, LightTools, Zemax, ANSYS or equivalent).
- Resourceful problem solver that is able to work around technical obstacles and will be adept at the implementation of practical solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner.
- Self-starter with excellent attitude, initiative and passion for delivering the best.