Mississauga, ON, Canada
The Mechanical Technologist is responsible for supporting the product development team by inspecting, assembling and testing opto-mechanical components and systems. The individual in the role works with a multi-disciplinary engineering team to ensure that project deliverables, product requirements and quality standards are met. To be successful in this role you must be a hands-on self-starter with a passion for mechanical systems.
What you will do...
- You will support R&D prototype design efforts as well as transferring products to production. This includes knowledge of design, fabrication and documentation of mechanical concepts for new products and overall system integration as well as procurement and inspection of mechanical components.
- Test and troubleshoot mechanical components and systems with minimal supervision (requires laboratory experience and/or mechanical aptitude); such as laser endoscope assemblies and water-cooled industrial illuminators.
- Read schematics, assembly drawings, and data sheets in assembling prototypes, performing tests and building fixtures for prototype runs.
- Use manual or CNC equipment to manufacture parts to assist with quick turnaround of prototype concepts.
- Maintains and organizes lab space, tools, equipment, and materials.
- Design and fabricate fixtures as required, 3D printed or machined.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Mechanical Technologist Diploma or equivalent from a recognized educational institution.
- Minimum 2 years' industrial experience in product and prototype development and 5 years of machining experience.
- Knowledge of standard mechanical practices such as GD&T.
- Capable of machining metals such as Aluminum, Copper, Stainless Steel and plastic parts; both using milling machine and lathe to high tolerances. Experience in CNC programming using CAMworks, fixturing, and operating CNC machining equipment is desirable.
- Experienced in programing 5-axis CNC machine is a plus.
- Competent in using hand and power shop tools for sheet metal fabrication and assembly of electrical and mechanical prototypes.
- Familiar with 3D CAD software such as SolidEdge and SolidWorks and drafting experience is an asset.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and/or suggest improvements for easier manufacturability.
- Experience working in an ISO9001, 14001, 13485, and/or FDA QSR compliant environment is a plus.
- Energetic, enthusiastic team-player.