Miamisburg, OH, United States
The hands-on Manufacturing Engineer to provide product line engineering support to help meet commitments to customers, achieve productivity improvement goals, and maintain a high level of quality. These activities focus on process improvement in a low volume, high mix environment that requires strong problem-solving skills. Processes include mechanical assembly, electronics soldering and assembly, epoxy and electronics encapsulation, ceramic-to-metal sealing, machining, resistance welding, and non-destructive and destructive testing. The ideal candidate will be able to work in a cross functional situation and will be reporting to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
- Investigates process and manufacturing problems during fabrication, test, and assembly operations and initiates corrective actions.
- Creates and modifies work instructions as necessary to document critical to quality process characteristics and establish appropriate process controls. Trains production operators as required.
- Handles multiple projects. Performs any and all required coordination with other operations to ensure that schedules are met, quality is maintained, and manufacturing costs are minimized.
- Designs a variety of tools, jigs and fixtures that will assist in increasing production efficiency and/or poka-yoke the process.
- Conducts failure analyses as required, performs root cause analysis, and initiates appropriate corrective action to prevent recurrence of failures.
- Recommends reductions in production cost by undertaking make/buy, value engineering studies. Improves and streamlines processes by eliminating waste and implementing cost saving ideas.
- Reviews engineering designs for manufacturing feasibility and recommends design changes that will enhance production, eliminating variation.
- Supports design development concepts and builds for new product introductions.
- May train production employees in the operation of specialized equipment.
- Ensures a safe work environment by building safety into work instructions, and monitoring accident investigation and other safety-related activities in the work area.
- Requires a B.S. degree in an Engineering discipline. 3 to 5 years experience in a manufacturing/production environment is preferred.
- Proven experience in creatively solving manufacturing problems utilizing Six Sigma methodologies
- Demonstrated Lean Manufacturing training and experience in implementing practices.
- Experience using DFEMA, PFMEA and DFA/DFM methodologies.
- Past experience taking a "hands-on" approach to engineering.
- Working knowledge of process tracking metrics is required.
- Proactive communication and interpersonal skills while working in cross-functional teams.
- Strong judgment and decision making skills.
- Green or Black Belt certification a plus
- Fixture and tooling design experience a plus
- Strong mechanical skills/knowledge and experience in any of the following processes is preferred: mechanical assembly, electronics soldering and assembly, ceramic to metal sealing, furnace brazing, high vacuum processing, machining, resistance welding and high voltage testing.
- Please note that due to the requirements from the Department of Energy, U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
- This position requires the use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status.