Miamisburg, OH, United States
The hands-on Manufacturing Engineer to provide product line engineering support to help meet commitments to customers, achieve productivity improvement goals, and maintain a high level of quality. These activities focus on process improvement in a low volume, high mix environment that requires strong problem-solving skills. Processes include mechanical assembly, electronics soldering and assembly, epoxy and electronics encapsulation, ceramic-to-metal sealing, machining, resistance welding, and non-destructive and destructive testing. The ideal candidate will be able to work in a cross functional situation and will be reporting to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
- Investigates process and manufacturing problems during fabrication, test, and assembly operations and initiates corrective actions.
- Creates and modifies work instructions as necessary to document critical to quality process characteristics and establish appropriate process controls. Trains production operators as required.
- Handles multiple projects. Performs any and all required coordination with other operations to ensure that schedules are met, quality is maintained, and manufacturing costs are minimized.
- Designs a variety of tools, jigs and fixtures that will assist in increasing production efficiency and/or poka-yoke the process.
- Conducts failure analyses as required, performs root cause analysis, and initiates appropriate corrective action to prevent recurrence of failures.
- Recommends reductions in production cost by undertaking make/buy, value engineering studies. Improves and streamlines processes by eliminating waste and implementing cost saving ideas.
- Reviews engineering designs for manufacturing feasibility and recommends design changes that will enhance production, eliminating variation.
- Supports design development concepts and builds for new product introductions.
- May train production employees in the operation of specialized equipment.
- Ensures a safe work environment by building safety into work instructions, and monitoring accident investigation and other safety-related activities in the work area.
- Requires a B.S. degree in an Engineering discipline. 3 to 5 years experience in a manufacturing/production environment is preferred.
- Proven experience in creatively solving manufacturing problems utilizing Six Sigma methodologies
- Demonstrated Lean Manufacturing training and experience in implementing practices.
- Experience using DFEMA, PFMEA and DFA/DFM methodologies.
- Past experience taking a "hands-on" approach to engineering.
- Working knowledge of process tracking metrics is required.
- Proactive communication and interpersonal skills while working in cross-functional teams.
- Strong judgment and decision making skills.
- Green or Black Belt certification a plus
- Fixture and tooling design experience a plus
- Strong mechanical skills/knowledge and experience in any of the following processes is preferred: mechanical assembly, electronics soldering and assembly, ceramic to metal sealing, furnace brazing, high vacuum processing, machining, resistance welding and high voltage testing.
- Please note that due to the requirements from the Department of Energy, U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
- This position requires the use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation