Boulder, CO, United States
Reports to: Materials Manager
Primary Responsibility: Responsible for developing and maintaining REO's external supply chain with an emphasis on maintenance, repair and support of Operations. This includes developing key alliances with strategic suppliers, development of new suppliers, managing suppliers to meet targeted quality, on-time delivery and cost reduction goals. Responsible for maintaining balance in supply and demand for replenishment driven purchased items; adjusting pro-actively to changes.
- Works in conjunction with Quality Engineering to identify and develop suppliers and conduct Supplier Quality Audits to meet the manufacturing organization's requirements for supplier quality, capability, capacity, OTD, cost reduction, and inventory management goals.
- Owns supplier relationships and actively participates in REO's Supplier Performance Monitoring Team (SPMT) process. Also supports monitoring of key indirect material suppliers.
- Reads and interprets supplier quotations, specifications, terms and conditions, and comprehends impacts and risks to REO.
- Identifies best candidate suppliers for components based on capability, capacity, equipment, etc.
- Maintains a fundamental understanding of purchasing processes and best practices and critically evaluates current REO processes and procedures for improvement opportunities.
- Works collaboratively with suppliers to identify opportunities to improve cost, quality and delivery, ensuring implementation buy-in from Engineering, Quality and others as appropriate.
- Negotiates pricing and delivery schedules. Facilitates contract negotiations and review.
- Issues purchase orders and manages open orders.
- Ensures execution of the material requirements plan in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Uses innovative as well as established techniques to support cost reduction: Kanban, lean manufacturing, extended terms, consignment inventory, auto-replenishment, etc. Monitors & reports progress against cost savings targets.
- Proactively reports potential shortages to the manufacturing & planning organizations.
- Interfaces with Engineering and Sales to support REO customer quoting.
- Ensures a high level of data integrity in item attributes of the business system (eg. lead time, cost, buyer assignments) to ensure the system provides valid suggestions.
- Develops processes, work instructions, processes ECO's, SNCR's, supplier reviews and other reporting as required.
- Promotes positive departmental and company image. Provides excellent internal customer support.
- Travels to suppliers in support of supplier qualification activities, QBRs, as needed.
- Supports other members of the Purchasing team through cross-training and flexing as workload dictates.
- Ensures compliance with company operating policies and procedures and conducts interactions with suppliers in accordance with REO's Ethics Code of Conduct.
- Experience in purchasing for an Optics assembly organization is strongly preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills required; detail-oriented and time sensitive.
- Strong communication skills coupled with the ability to work in a team environment is essential.
- ERP experience required. Experience with M2M ERP software a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with Lean supply chain management methodology essential.
- Organized, self-directed, detail-oriented and able to work to milestones
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of variables
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
- Ability to quote items, interpret and manage contract terms, expedite deliveries, and other related sustaining supplier management tasks
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, advanced spreadsheets, Internet, Outlook,
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures
- Proven track record of effective communication both written and verbal
MRO Buyer III Qualifications:
- B.A./B.S. Supply Chain, Operations, or Materials emphasis desired.
- 5+ years of directly related experience
- Strong track record of negotiation and cost reduction realization
- APICS CPIM or CSCP certification preferred